Skip to main content

Hit the Damn Reset Button. Your Brain is Begging You To

Let’s get real for a minute we are not robots. We are not meant to grind for eight plus hours a day, five days a week, fueled by caffeine and denial, pretending Teams notifications aren’t slowly eating our souls. Yet here we are burnt out, over-meetinged, and holding it together with the classic “Sorry, I was on mute.” 

Newsflash: it is not fine. Think of it like restarting your Wi-Fi when the connection sucks. You don’t just keep hitting refresh you unplug it, wait ten seconds, and let it reboot. Your brain needs the same damn courtesy. 

You are not broken you are just overdue for a mental reset. And what the hell is a mental reset, anyway? It’s not a vacation (though those help). It’s not quitting your job in a blaze of glory (tempting, I know). A mental reset is a pause.. short or long…that gives your brain room to breathe, stretch, and stop spiraling into existential dread every time someone says, “Quick question…” 

Let’s blame hustle culture for making breaks feel like failure. Somewhere along the line, busy became a badge of honor if you weren’t booked solid from dawn till dusk, were you even trying? Yes you were and you are allowed to stop. Stepping back doesn’t mean stepping down. It means you are smart enough to know that constant output without input leads to garbage results. (You know that report you stayed up late finishing? Yeah, it was hot trash. Sorry.) 

Need to know the signs that you are long overdue for a mental resets?

✔ You’ve reread the same email six times and still don’t know what it says.

✔ You’re irrationally pissed off by someone’s use of Comic Sans.

✔ You fantasize about throwing your laptop out the window more than once a day.

✔ You open a new tab and instantly forget why.

✔ You’ve started answering emails in your dreams. (Seriously, call someone.) 

How to actually reset… It doesn’t have to be a grand gesture it just has to be intentional . A reset can be:
A 10-minute walk with no phone. A weekend without touching your inbox. A midweek afternoon where you say, Screw it, and read something for fun. Some people meditate. Some bake bread. Some scream into the void (valid). Do what works, but DO IT. Regularly. 

I created an intentional structured mental reset called SNAP—Shimmy, Notice, Anchor, Pivot. SNAP is your emergency eject button when burnout looms:

Shimmy-Shake off tension with movement, even if it’s just standing up and stretching.
Notice-Pause and check in with your thoughts. What is actually going on in your mind?
Anchor-Find stability in your breath, a grounding phrase, or a physical reset.
Pivot-Shift gears, reframe, or change your environment.

SNAP Worksheet

Stop glorifying the grind, burnout is not a flex. Fatigue is not a trophy. If your brain is waving a white flag, it is time to stop and listen. Normalize taking a beat. Normalize saying not today. Normalize hitting the damn reset button before you crash and burn. Because when you give your mind the rest it needs, it repays you in clarity, creativity, and actual joy.

Imagine that.

ღ Chi



Comments

  1. I love this and 100% agree with this! I've added 5 minute breaks to my work calendar to just stop, put a dance song on and boogie or "shimmy". It's helped me clear my mind and relax after having candidates and hiring managers pushing all of my buttons. I do this at home and with my pups after a rough day. Instantly makes me feel at least 25% better. Like you said, you have to hit the damn reset button!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesss! I love that you have built in your own reset ritual, shimmy breaks with pups sounds like peak self care. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Seen

There’s a weird kind of loneliness that comes from wanting to be seen while also praying nobody looks too closely. Wanting someone to notice the hurt, the exhaustion, the way you’ve been holding everything together with shaky hands and caffeine and pure survival instinct… but also being terrified that if they really saw you, they might decide you’re too much, too emotional, too broken, too needy, too human. So you perform. You crack jokes in meetings. You answer I’m good on autopilot. You keep producing. Keep leading. Keep showing up polished enough that nobody asks too many questions. But underneath all that is a quiet little voice whispering, please see me. Please notice I’m drowning before I convince myself this is normal. And the messed up part is… when somebody actually does notice? Panic. Immediate panic. Because being seen means being vulnerable. It means somebody could confirm the fears you’ve been fighting in your own head. It means they might see the cracks you worked overt...

Resolutions

While everyone else is panic buying gym memberships and promising to become an entirely different person by February, I’m rolling into this new year exactly as I am. Unapologetically. Intentionally. And with zero interest in your vision board that implies my current self isn’t enough. I am not broken, so there is nothing to fix. There is this wild assumption that January 1st should trigger some metamorphosis, like we are all caterpillars who have been waiting for permission to become butterflies. But you are already the butterfly. You have been one all along and the only thing you need to shed is the belief that you are supposed to be someone else. I have spent years building the person I am. My habits, my boundaries, my non negotiables, the way I take my coffee, the way I handle my business, the relationships I have cultivated, the ones I have walked away from. That wasn’t accidental. And I am not demolishing it because a calendar flipped. This Year My time with family is sacred and n...

Purpose Driven

We have something at my work called Pause for Purpose. At the beginning of meetings, we stop just for a moment and recognize something meaningful. Sometimes it’s a team that showed up during a natural disaster to help families get back on their feet. Sometimes it’s employees volunteering in the community. Sometimes it’s people doing extraordinary things when the world gets messy. And I love that we do that. I really do. Because in corporate spaces, we talk a lot about values. But when you pause the agenda to honor service, real human service, that tells people those words aren’t just printed in the company newsletter. They are practiced. This matters. Since I’ve become a leader, things have happened. My perspective has shifted. I’ve been exposed to the why behind the time off. I’ve spent more time listening to a bigger group than just my handful of usuals about their kids, their bad mornings, their big wins, their big losses. And something happened recently that shifted the way I think...